Fact Sheets and FAQs
Heavy metals and your health: Frequently asked questions about testing, treatment and prevention (PDF)http://public.health.oregon.gov/HealthyEnvironments/HealthyNeighborhoods/LeadPoisoning/MedicalProvidersLaboratories/Documents/HeavyMetals.pdf
This handout will help you understand what is known about testing for and treating chronic heavy metal toxicity, so that you, along with your health care providers, can make the best and safest decisions about your health.
Humans use mercury in a variety of manufacturing processes and products such as thermometers and fluorescent bulbs. If you improperly dispose of products with mercury in them, they may break and release mercury vapors which are harmful to human and ecological health. This EPA site provides tips and procedures on handling spills related to broken mercury-containing devices, such as fluorescent bulbs.
Mercury is found in a number of common household products. When liquid (elemental) mercury is spilled, it forms droplets that can accumulate in cracks and other small places. These droplets emit vapors into the air that cannot be seen or smelled.
This mercury site provides a broad range of information: actions by EPA and others, including international actions; effects on people and the environment; and how to protect you and your family.
Mercury can be found in a variety of household products such as fever thermometers, fluorescent light tubes, thermostats and irons.
|Nov 2002||(New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services)|
This fact sheet answers the most frequently asked health questions about mercury. HIGHLIGHTS: Exposure to mercury occurs from breathing contaminated air, ingesting contaminated water and food, and having dental and medical treatments...